World No Tobacco Day 2014
31 May 2014
The theme for World No Tobacco Day 2014 is: raise taxes on tobacco
Raising taxes on tobacco is both the most effective and cost-effective way of reducing tobacco use around the world. Read our short brochure to find out how countries are successfully increasing tobacco taxes and what WHO recommends for further progress.
Specific objectives of the 2014 campaign are that:
- governments increase taxes on tobacco to levels that reduce tobacco consumption; and
- individuals and civil society organizations encourage their governments to increase taxes on tobacco to levels that reduce consumption.
The World No Tobacco Day 2014 Awards
Every year, WHO recognizes individuals or organizations in each of the six WHO Regions for their accomplishments in the area of tobacco control. This year, the Southeast Asian Tobacco Control Alliance (SEATCA) was one of the two recipients of the WHO Director-General Special Recognition Award. Winners of the World No Tobacco Day 2014 awards in the Western Pacific Region include:
- Professor Teh-wei Hu, People's Republic of China
- Longde Wang, People's Republic of China
- Honourable Tariana Turia, New Zealand
- Republic of Palau National Government, Republic of Palau
- Mr Siosifa Tuitupou Tu'utafaiva, Kingdom of Tonga
- Lord/Mr Tu'i'afitu, Kingdom of Tonga