World No Tobacco Day 2013
31 May 2013
The theme for World No Tobacco Day 2013 is: ban tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship.
A comprehensive ban of all tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship is required under the WHO Framework Convention for Tobacco Control (WHO FCTC) for all Parties to this treaty within five years of the entry into force of the Convention for that Party. Evidence shows that comprehensive advertising bans lead to reductions in the numbers of people starting and continuing smoking. Statistics show that banning tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship is one of the most cost-effective ways to reduce tobacco demand and thus a tobacco control “best buy”.
Specific objectives of the 2013 campaign are to:
- spur countries to implement WHO FCTC Article 13 and its Guidelines to comprehensively ban tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship such
that fewer people start and continue to use tobacco; and
- drive local, national and international efforts to counteract tobacco industry efforts
to undermine tobacco control, specifically industry efforts to stall or stop comprehensive bans on tobacco advertising, promotion and sponsorship.
Winners of the World No Tobacco Day awards in the Western Pacific Region
- Phnom Penh Capital City, the Kingdom of Cambodia
- Dr Huang Jiefu, the People's Republic of China
- Ministry of Health, the Cook Islands
- Hong Kong Council on Smoking and Health, China, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (Hong Kong SAR)
- Dr Zarihah binti Dato' Mohd Zain, Malaysia
- President Benigno S. Aquino III and the Sin Tax Team, the Republic of the Philippines