regional Green Light Committee (rGLC) Western Pacific
Drug-resistant TB poses a major threat to ending TB in the Western Pacific Region. In 2014, there were an estimated 71 000 drug-resistant TB cases in the region, however, only 19% of them were detected and reported. Only 66% of these reported cases were enrolled in treatment. Treatment outcomes for drug-resistant TB cases also remain a major concern. Of the patients who started treatment in 2012, only 51% were successfully treated, largely due to high rates of mortality and loss to follow-up.
The regional Green Light Committee (rGLC) is a group of drug-resistant TB experts and offers its assistance to countries to improve the programmatic management of drug resistant TB (PMDT). The Secretariat of the rGLC is hosted by the WHO Regional Office for the Western Pacific.
Terms of Reference
- Review and provide inputs to the regional and national strategies and/or action plans for scale up of Programmatic Management of Drug-Resistant TB;
- Oversee the provision of supportive monitoring and technical assistance (TA) missions to countries;
- Review and analyze rGLC monitoring and TA mission reports and surveillance data;
- Provide an opinion to donors/funding agencies on their request on country PMDT scale-up plans and the subsequent TA needs addressing identified gaps;
- Liaise with the Global Drug-resistant TB Initiative (GDI) and exchange information on region specific issues and plans of rGLC activities;
- In collaboration with WHO Regional Office and Partners, to convene advocacy efforts for PMDT scale up, access to and rational use of quality-assured medicines, and coordinate and report on progress related to data collection in the Western Pacific Region.
rGLC structure and membership
The rGLC is currently composed of 8 members. The selection of members was conducted by a committee convened by the World Health Organization. Their choice of members was reached through consensus based on an equitable distribution of experts across technical areas and constituencies. The current rGLC members have been selected for a term of 2 years (January 2016 – December 2017).
- Dr Jacques van Broek (rGLC Chair, WPR)
- Dr Chiang Chen-Yuan
- Dr Hoang Thi Thanh Thuy
- Dr Karen Maree Johnson
- Dr Paramasivan C.N.
- Dr. Sushil Pandey
- Mrs Amanda Christensen
- Dr Alex Golubkov