Pacific syndromic surveillance report
Week 5, ending 2nd February, 2014
The following syndromes have been flagged:
- Influenza like-illness: Papua New Guinea
- Acute fever and rash: Palau, Kiribati
- As of 2 February, 2014 there have been 220 suspected dengue cases in Vanuatu. Dengue serotype-3 has been isolated.
- French Polynesia is currently facing a dengue serotype-1 and serotype-3 epidemic. As of 31 January, 2014 the total number of positive cases of dengue reported since February 2013 is 1,636: 245 case in November; 368 cases in December and 146 cases in January.
- As of 6 February, 2014 there have been 42 cases of dengue in New Caledonia since 1 September 2013. There were 8 cases in September; 2 cases in October; 4 cases in November; 10 cases in December and 16 cases in January.
- As of 30 January 2014, there have been a total of 1859 lab confirmed dengue cases in Fiji since 30 October 2013. Of the 1859 cases; 71% are from the Suva subdivision. Dengue serotype-3 has been isolated. There have been two deaths.
- New Caledonia – As of 4 February, 2014 there have been fourty-four confirmed cases of zika virus since 25 November 2013. Of these, fourteen are locally transmitted cases while the other thirty cases were imported from French Polynesia.
- Since early October, 2013 7,900 suspected cases of zika were reported by health professionals sentinel network in French Polynesia.