HINARI Eligible Countries in WPRO
Two groups of countries (Group A and Group B)
Local, not-for-profit institutions in two groups of countries may register for access to the publications through HINARI. The country lists are based on three factors: GNI per capita (World Bank figures), United Nations Least Developed Country (LDCs) List and Human Development Index (HDI).
Institutions in countries with at least one of the following criteria may be eligible for free access: inclusion in the LDCs; an HDI of less than 0.63; or GNI per capita at or below $1600.
Institutions in countries that do not match at least one of the above criteria and with either a GNI per capita less than $5000 or HDI at or below 0.67 may be eligible to pay a fee of $1000 per year.
- Eligible categories of institutions are: national universities, research institutes, professional schools (medicine, nursing, pharmacy, public health, dentistry), teaching hospitals, government offices and national medical libraries. All staff members and students are entitled to access to the information resources.
- If your institution is in a Group A (free access) country, then HINARI is free. If your institution is in a Group B (low-cost access) country, HINARI costs US $1000 per institution per calendar year (from January through December). All institutions registering from Group B countries are entitled to a six month trial.
- If your institution is in Group B (low-cost access) country, and you cannot or choose not to pay the annual fee, your institution will still be eligible for free access to a number of information resources. (See lists of countries, areas and territories below)
HINARI-Eligible Countries, Areas and Territories in WPRO
Group B (low-cost access)
- Cook Islands
- Marshall Islands
Group A (free access)
- Lao People’s Democratic Republic
- Micronesia (Federated States of)
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
- Viet Nam