WHO – League of Municipalities: Partnership for Health
March 2012 - The World Health Organization (WHO), led by Dr Soe Nyunt-U recently met with the executive committee members of the League of Municipalities of the Philippines in Tagaytay City. The interface between the two organizations was just one of many interactions slated to take place regularly to discuss health issues at the municipal level.
LMP National President Mayor Strike Revilla along with the officers/ mayors gave an enthusiastic welcome to the WHO technical officers as they presented the various health programs in partnership with the Department of Health. The programs and projects presented were:
- Maternal and Child Health : Unang Yakap & Breastfeeding TSEK !
- Surveillance in Post Extreme Emergencies & Disasters (SPEED)
- International Health Regulations (IHR) & Asia Pacific Strategy for Emerging Diseases (APSED)
- Dengue, Malaria and Neglected Tropical Diseases
- Good Governance on Medicines
- Medicine Transparency Alliance (MeTA)
- Prevention and Control of Noncommunicable Diseases (NCD)
- Red Orchid Awards for 100% Tobacco-Free Environment
The WHO initiated this partnership with LMP not just to advocate but also to ensure the support of the Municipal Mayors and their local government units towards the advancement of specific health programs, to strengthen the local implementation of Kalusugan Pangkalahatan or the Universal Health Care (UHC) and to help facilitate the achievement of health-related Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
The partnership was sealed with a solidarity handshake between Mayor Revilla and Dr Soe.
After the Execom Meeting, the WR was invited to join the National Directorate meeting of more than 50 mayors which also took place on the same day.