The year 2013 ushers in a new era with higher taxes on cigarettes, beer, liquor, wine, and other tobacco and alcohol products.
When President Benigno Aquino III signed Republic Act No. 10351 on Dec. 20, he said, “Today, we are again making history: for the past 15 years, we have been trying to reform the tax structure of imposing excise tax on tobacco and alcohol products. After 15 long years, we have finally succeeded.”
“As the people’s servant, I shall personally ensure that this government shall implement the Sin Tax Reform Act of 2012 in a transparent and accountable manner starting Jan. 1, 2013,” he said.
The Philippines is a signatory to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC), a legally binding international treaty that it signed in 23 Sept 2003. The Philippine Senate ratified the treaty in 22 February 2005. The FCTC became one of the domestic laws in the Philippines on 4 September 2005.
While the Philippines has fulfilled some commitments at the sub-national level, the country still has to meet other FCTC obligations. Recognizing the decentralized nature of the country’s health system, the WHO Country Office extends technical support to local government units (LGUs) specifically on policy and human resource development. The Country Office especially extends assistance to LGUs that expressed the political will to implement FCTC provisions in their areas.
Contact Person for TFI:
Dr. Florante Trinidad
National Professional Officer
Tobacco Free Initiative
Projects, feature stories and news
Publications and documents
Bul-Usok Bulletins on Smoking and Exposure to Second Hand Smoke
- Series no. 1 - 100% Smoke free Government offices
- Series no. 2 - 100% Smoke free Centers of Youth Activity
- Series no. 3 - 100% Smoke free Public Transport
- Series no. 4 - 100% Smoke free Homes
- Series no. 5 - No designated smoking areas indoor
- Series no. 6 - Women's Health and Tobacco
- Series no. 7 - Children's Health and Tobacco
- Series no. 8 - 100% Smoke free Health Professionals
- Series no. 9 - Fatwa (Islamic Edict) on Smoking
- Series no. 10 - Quit Smoking