Initiatives on antimicrobial resistance (AMR)
To highlight this problem, the 2011 World Health Day (WHD) was celebrated with antimicrobial resistance as the theme.WHD 2011 raises the battle to combat drug resistance. If there is no action today, there will be no cure tomorrow.
A six point policy package was developed and promoted based on the World Health Assembly (WHA) resolutions. These are the following:
- commit to comprehensive, financed national plan with accountability and civil society engagement;
- strengthen surveillance and laboratory capacity
- ensure uninterrupted access to quality essential medicines;
- regulate and promote rational use of medicines, both for men and animals, and ensure proper patient care;
- enhance infection prevention and control; and
- foster innovations, and research and development of new tools.