Project on strengthening public health system with climate change adaptation measures
Project title: Strengthened Public Health System with Climate Change Adaptation Measures and Enhanced Capacities of Health Institutions to Anticipate and Deal with the Health Impacts of Climate Change.
This flagship project was supported by MDG-F, developed and implemented from 2008-2012, under the Joint Programme on Climate Change, with health component, by UN agencies and government partners.
The objectives of the project are:
- To strengthen early warning and surveillance systems for climate change sensitive diseases;
- To strengthen emergency and disaster-preparedness and response for effects of climate change;
- To enhance knowledge and skills of health workforce on prevention and management of climate change-sensitive diseases and mitigating and adapting to climate change;
- To increase public awareness and action on prevention of climate change-sensitive diseases; and
- To document best practices on health adaptation strategy to climate change, and develop a template for replication and scaling-up.
The objectives were achieved, in varying degrees of accomplishments.