Climate change and health in the Philippines
WHO Philippines collaborates with Department of Health
Guided by the World Health Assembly Resolution of 2008, and the regional framework for action to protect human health from the effects of climate change in the Asia-Pacific Region, WHO Philippines partnered with the Philippines’ Department of Health to respond to the challenges of climate change.
Preliminary activities involved advocacy and awareness campaigns on the impact of climate change on health. This was achieved through multi-sectoral forums, climate change and health orientation in several regions of the country from 2008 to 2012. Moreover, training of public health workers were also held on this topic.
Policy interventions on climate change and health were also initiated. Among the key government issuances are:
- enactment of Philippine Climate Change Act (R.A. No 9279);
- creation of DOH National Framework on Climate Change and Health Adaptation (DOH Circular No. 2010-0187);
- establishment of DOH technical committee on climate change and health (DOH Personnel Order No. 2010-2977);
- creation of the Climate Change Unit at DOH (DOH Department Personnel Order No. 2011-2458); and
- enforcement of DOH National Policy on Climate Change Adaptation for the Health Sector (DOH Administrative Order No. 005, s. 2012.