Comprehensive approach to improvement in access and quality of people centered primary health care in rural Mongolia
WHO Country Office of Mongolia in collaboration with UNESCO, UNDP, UNICEF and UNFPA, MOH and other national and local partners successfully implemented projects in 26 soums of 8 aimags as part of comprehensive community services to improve human security and promote social equality for the rural disadvantaged populations in Mongolia. The projects were financially supported by UNTFHS as part of Joint UN project during from 2009 to 2013 period.
1. Capacity building training on Integrated PHC and EH
Four types of local fellowship training materials on integrated Primary Health Care (PHC) and Environmental Health (EH) were developed and capacity building trainings were conducted for 375 health care workers and 270 health volunteers.
2. Behaviour change communication activities
IEC materials to promote healthy environment were developed and distributed to communities. Community based small projects on improvement of food safety, solid waste management, child nursing and maintenance of rehabilitation centres were developed and implemented with active participation of communities in sixteen project soums.
3. Improvement of water and sanitation facilities
The water supply and sanitation facilities were improved in twenty soum health facilities.
4. Improvement of health care waste management
Basic supplies and equipment to promote sound health care waste management at soum health facilities were provided.
5. Activities on Climate Change and Health
The impact of climate change on health is clearly seen in the Gobi areas of Mongolia. To mitigate the effect of climate change of health the project supported the development of comprehensive work plan on preparedness and mitigation, integrated water safety plan into climate change plan, and trained facilitators.
- Ministry of Health of Mongolia
- Health Science's University of Mongolia
- The United Nations Trust Fund for Human Security
- The United Nations Development Programme of Mongolia
- The United Nations Children's Fund of Mongolia
- The United Nations Population Fund of Mongolia
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (Mongolia)
Photo stories about the project implementation
- Trainings for health care workers and health volunteers, UNTFUS PROJECT, 2009-2013
- Behaviour change activities among communities and community based projects, UNTFHS PROJECT, 2010-2013
- WASH improvement in soum health facilities, UNTFHS project, 2009-2013
- Health Care Waste Management, UNTFHS project, 2009-2013
- Local and national expereince sharing workshop for UNTFHS-I project, March -May, 2012
- Local experience sharing workshop, Gobi aimags, UNTFHS-2 project, June 2013
Project reports and presentations
Final report of UNTFHS Project Phase -I (2009-2012)
Major activities conducted under WHO component in rural areas of Mongolia, 2009-2013
Policy recommendations of UNTFHS project on 13 June, 2012 (Mongolian version)
Policy recommendations of UNTFHS project on 13 June, 2012 (English version)
UNTFHS project evaluation, May 27, 2012 (English version)
UNTFHS project evaluation, May 27, 2012 (Mongolian version)
Poster on UNTFHS project achievements and results