WHO Representative Office in Cambodia
Cambodia joined WHO on 17 May 1950. Formerly an Associate Member of the French Union, it gained independence in 1954 when French Indochina was dissolved. The complex history of Cambodia during the 1970s and 1980s is reflected in the various names of the state that appear in the records of Regional Committee meetings. Representatives from this country came from Khmer Republic (1971 to 1974); Democratic Kampuchea (in 1980, 1987 and 1988); and finally, from Cambodia (from 1992 to present). There was no representation during the rule of the Khmer Rouge (1975-1979) and under a coalition government they subsequently helped form (1982-1986 and 1989-1991).
Cambodia’s WHO Country Liaison Office (CLO) was administered by the WHO Representative in Saigon (Viet Nam) from 1956 to April 1962, after when the WHO Representative Office in Phnom Penh, Cambodia was established. The Office closed in May 1975 when the country was in abeyance. In 1991, a CLO for Cambodia re-opened in Phnom Penh, and in 1992, its designation was changed once again to the WHO Representative Office.