Animal infection with avian influenza A
Avian influenza A(H5N6) virus
On 12 August 2014, highly pathogenic avian influenza A(H5N6) virus infection in poultry was reported in Lang Son and Ha Tinh provinces in Viet Nam. The poultry outbreak in Lang Son commenced on 22 April 2014 with 40 cases including 15 deaths, 65 poultry were destroyed. The poultry outbreak in Ha Tinh commenced on 22 June 2014 with 950 cases, 1900 poultry were destroyed. This is a new strain detected from outbreak surveillance activities. All poultry in affected flocks were destroyed immediately when poultry showing clinical signs of HPAI were detected. Samples were taken from surrounding poultry flocks. All were negative for avian influenza.
Avian influenza A(H7) virus
According to the national avian influenza A(H7N9) monitoring results for the 2/3 and 3/3 parts of July and 1/3 part of August, out of 23 516 serum samples and 12 755 virological samples, 9 collected from Guangdong Province and 5 collected from Shandong Province tested positive for H7. These were all serum samples. While all positive samples from Guangdong Province were from live bird markets, in Shandong Province, the origin of positive samples were breeder (n=2) and layer farms (n=3).
For more information on animal infection with avian influenza viruses with potential public health impact, visit:
- World Organisation of Animal Health (OIE) web page: http://www.oie.int/animal-health-in-the-world/web-portal-on-avian-influenza/ and http://www.oie.int/animal-health-in-the-world/update-on-avian-influenza
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN (FAO) webpage: Avian Influenza: http://www.fao.org/avianflu/en/index.html
- OFFLU: http://www.offlu.net/
- EMPRES/FAO-GLEWS: http://empres-i.fao.org/empres-i/home
Latest information on human seasonal influenza
For latest information on the regional seasonal influenza situation:
For latest information on the global seasonal influenza situation:
- Epidemiology: http://www.who.int/influenza/surveillance_monitoring/updates/
- Virology: http://www.who.int/influenza/gisrs_laboratory/updates/summaryreport