The population of the Philippines, as of the last census in 2007, numbered 88 574 614, with a population density of 295 per square kilometre. This translates to an average annual population growth rate of 2.0% for the period from 2000 to 2007, which was the lowest annual population growth rate recorded for the Philippines since the 1960s.
The country’s projected population for 2010 was 94 013 200. It is predominantly young, with the 0-14 years age group representing 33.8% and those aged 65 years and above comprising only 4.4%. There are almost equal numbers of males and females. The crude birth rate is 19.7 per 1000 midyear population and the crude death rate is 5.0 per 1000 midyear population. Life expectancy for both sexes was 70 years in 2009: 67 for males and 73 for females.
Country health information profile
- You may find the 2012 and/or latest available data in the Data and Analytics section of the Health Information and Intelligence Platform.
News and press releases
- Foreign medical teams delivering care in damaged areas
- WHO and partners begin reaching people in need on many Philippine islands hit by typhoon
- Relief arriving in the Philippines, challenges for delivery persist
- WHO supporting Philippine Government with arrival of medical supplies after Typhoon Haiyan
- WHO responding to health needs caused by Typhoon Haiyan (“Yolanda”)
The Philippines, one of the WHO founders, joined WHO on 9 July 1948.
On 1 June 1951, the Philippine Government and the World Health Organization signed a Host Agreement for the establishment of the Regional Office in Manila.
The WHO Representative Office was established in January 1973 but the WHo Representative post was vacant until 1981.
WHO Country Office
Ground Floor, Building 3, Department of Health, San Lazaro Compound, Rizal Avenue, Sta. Cruz, Manila
P.O. Box 2932 Manila
(632) 310 - 6370
(632) 743 - 8301 local 1931
(632) 310 - 6550
08.00 - 12.00 13.00 - 17.00 (Monday to Friday)
Head of Government
Department of Foreign Affairs
2230 Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City, Metro Manila
Deparment of Health
San Lazaro Compound, Tayuman, Sta. Cruz, Manila, Philippines 1003
Telephone number:(632) 743-8301
- Western Pacific Country Health Information Profiles 2011 revision
Philippines in Figures 2011. National Statistics Office, Philippines
- National health accounts: country information. Geneva, World Health Organization.
Human development report 2007/2008: fighting climate change: human solidarity in a divided world
|Population (in thousands) ( 2010 )||94013.2|
|Population aged 5-14 years (%) ( 2010 )||22.28|
|Life expectancy at birth (years) ( 2009 )||70|
|Under-five mortality rate (per 1000 live births) ( 2008 )||34|
|Total health expenditure as % of GDP ( 2009 )||3.8|
|General government health expenditure as % of total government expenditure ( 2009 )||7.2|
|Human development index ( 2010 )||0.638|
|Per capita GDP at current market prices (US$) ( 2009 )||1825.22|
|Population below national poverty line (%) ( 2000 )||25.1|
|Literacy rate among adults aged >= 15 years (%) ( 2002 )||92.6|
|Maternal mortality ratio (per 100 000 live births) ( 2006 )||162|
|Proportion of the population using improved drinking water source ( 2008 )||91|
|Population using improved sanitation facilities (%) ( 2008 )||76|