The Western Area Health Initiative has two key objectives:
- To improve the health status of the population in the three target regions of Shaanxi, Chongqing and Guangxi;
- To place health high on the political agenda and establish effective multi-sectoral cooperation to improve health.
Specifically, the Western Area Health Initiative’s objectives are:
- To strengthen health information management systems in the three selected provinces;
- To systematically and scientifically develop provincial health profiles, and revise these annually;
- To strengthen health systems, and promote public hospital reform;
- To strengthen health policy development and implementation through multi-sectoral collaboration;
- To implement priority health interventions for both rural and urban areas; and to achieve rural and urban integration to reduce health inequities;
- To strengthen capacity building among the health officials and health professionals at the national and sub-national level;
- To expand and upscale best practices from eastern areas to the west and to promote health development in western China.