NCD and Health through the Life-Course
for a better life.
Together, creating health for a better life.
At the dawn of the endorsement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the Division of NCDs and Health through the Life-Course (DNH), envisions a healthy start for every newborn and all people who desire health and a better life.
Today's complex world is characterized by environments that threaten our health, safety and well-being. Climate change, globalization, rapid and unplanned urbanization, motor-dependence, easy access and marketing of calorie-rich and nutrient poor food and beverages, unsafe roads, homes, communities and workplaces, the breakdown of traditional social support systems and the burden of noncommunicable diseases, and its risk factors, profoundly impact on our lives.
We are committed to working with Member States to:
- Enable individuals, communities, organized groups and societies to work together and take action in all settings to reduce behavioural, environmental and social risks to health.
- Support advocates and policy-makers as they work toward creating healthier environments, better food choices, safer settings and inclusive health services throughout the life course through laws, regulations, policies and ordinances.
- Build strong partnerships with the health sector and the scientific community to address upstream determinants of health through collaborative action with finance, transport, trade, police, local governments, education, social welfare among others --- to promote health and prevent disease.
- Advocate for women, newborns, children, youth, persons with disability, patients suffering from mental illness and other vulnerable groups who require urgent and collective attention but may be systematically marginalized or displaced.
The Division for NCDs and Health through the Life-Course has the following technical units:
- Disability and Rehabilitation, including Blindness Prevention and Control
- Health and the Environment
- Mental Health and Substance Abuse
- Noncommunicable Diseases and Health Promotion
- Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health
- Tobacco-Free Initiative
- Violence and Injury Prevention
DNH Regional Action Plans
- Towards Universal Eye Health: A Regional Action Plan for the Western Pacific (2014–2019)
- Regional Framework for Action on Community-based Rehabilitation: 2010-2020
- Regional Agenda for Implementing the Mental Health Action Plan 2013–2020 in the Western Pacific
- Western Pacific Regional Action Plan for the Prevention and Control of NCDs (2014–2020)
- Action Plan to Reduce the Double Burden of Malnutrition in the Western Pacific Region (2015-2020)
- Action Plan for Healthy Newborn Infants in the Western Pacific Region (2014-2020)
- Regional Action Plan for the Tobacco Free Initiative in the Western Pacific Region (2015–2019)
- Road safety in the Western Pacific Region : call for action